As promised here I am sharing the recipes for bakes that I took on my Peak District road trip. To bake Sweet Potato And Pepper Tortilla I used my all time favourite GoodFood website (to get the recipe click here), I added whole roasted peppers into the tortilla instead of making the sauce out of it. For Onion And Bacon Tart I used this really really simple recipe! And finally the Elderflower And Poppyseed Cake was our favourite! It was so light and refreshing (but not too lemony), try it for yourself!
ELDERFLOWER AND POPPYSEED CAKE (adopted from Peyton and Byrne “British Baking” book)
- 165 g butter (softened)
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 30g poppyseed
- finely grated zest of small lemon
- 1 tbsp elderflower cordal (recipe is here)
- 1 tsp orange essence
- 200g flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 140 ml milk
- 50g icing sugar
- 3-4 elderflower cordal
- Elderflower blossoms (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 170C. Butter a 900g loaf tin and line the bottom with baking paper.
2. Beat the softened butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at the time, mixing well after each additions.
3. Add the poppyseed, lemon zest, elderflower cordial and orange essence and mix through. Gently fold in half of the flour, followed by half the milk, and then the remaining flour and milk until it is all incorporated. Spoon the mixture into your prepared loaf tin.
4. Bake in the oven for 40-45min or until the cake is firm to touch and skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave it to cool down.
5. Make the glaze by mixing icing sugar with the Elderflower cordal and brush it on the cooled cake. Sprinkle it with poppyseed and Elderflower blossoms.
I am sure you will enjoy this cake!