As I have recently visited Bakewell (little town in Peak district, not a tart), I had a opportunity to taste the real original Bakewell Pudding.
Surprisingly this pudding doesn’t look nothing like the typical Bakewell tart we know of! The almond paste sits in the puff pastry rather than sweet pastry, which gives salty after taste… yum!
I baked my own Bakewell Tart version today! Here is the recipe…
CHERRY BAKEWELL TART
For the sweet pastry:
- 85g unsalted butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 200g flour
For the filling:
- 200g cherry jam
- 150g unsalted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g ground almonds
- 50g plain flour
- 50g almond flakes
- Place the butter and sugar in mixing bowl and beat them together until they are light and fluffy. Add the egg to the butter mixture and mix it until combined. Then add the flour gradually and mix until it looks like smooth dough.
- Place the pastry in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes to rest. (or into freezer if you want it to be used another time)
- Meanwhile make the cream. Place the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl and mix them together until they are creamy and light. Mix the eggs in 1 at a time until well combined. Sift the flour and ground almonds together. Slowly add the almond and flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix the ingredients together until you have a creamy mixture. Set the almond cream aside until ready to use.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge. Roll it out on a well floured surface until it is around .5-.75mm thick. Lightly grease 30cm tart tin (or line it with baking paper). Line the tart tin with the pastry. Place the lined tin in the freezer for 15 minutes or in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Pour cherry jam into the tart and spread the almond cream on top of it.
- Sprinkle flaked almonds on the top an place the tart in the preheated oven and cook it for 30-40 minutes. The cream will be golden brown, risen and firm when the tart is ready.
- Remove the tart from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the tart carefully from the tin.