Only few weeks ago I have posted a recipe for the digestives. I have already found many uses for these simple biscuits! I used them as banoffee cheesecake base in the past while today I have crafted banoffee ice-cream sandwiches. Ahh… there is never enough of banoffee pie ;-).
BANOFFEE ICE-CREAM SANDWICHES Makes 6 sandwiches
- 3 egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 150ml double cream
- 100ml milk
- 200g yogurt
- 2 medium sized bananas, mashed
- 12 chocolate covered digestives
- 100g caramel
1. First make banana ice-cream (this can be done long time ahead). Prepare egg cream by mixing egg yolks with sugar and whisking until it becomes pale.
2. Put double cream and milk together into the sauce-pan and heat it up, but don’t let it to boil. Then reduce the heat and add egg yolk mixture into the pan. Cook it on the small heat (just in case as it is very important not to get it boiled as then you would get an omelet, not an ice-cream) and mix continuously until it becomes thick (about 10 min).
3. At this stage it is best to cool the mixture down by placing the pot in the cold water as when you get the right consistency it is best not to overcook it.
4. When the egg cream has cooled add yogurt and mashed bananas and combine everything well. Pour the mixture into the plastic container (or even baking tin lined with baking paper) and place it into freezer.
5. After two hours scrape off the sides of the container and mix it with the fork. Repeat this after three hours and after that you can let it stay there until it is completely frozen.
6. Remove frozen ice-cream out of the container or tin and lay it onto the chopping board. Using cookie cutter cut out circles in the ice-cream block.
7. Make the ice-cream sandwiches: spread some caramel on the digestive, stick ice-cream round on top and cover everything with another digestive.