Today I had chickpea crepes for brunch (I know I know, but sometimes it is just nice to start late). I make crepes quite often in general as it is great with many fillings, can be served sweet or savoury and it is quite instant. However today I am going to speak about the chickpea crepes that have an interesting flavour twist and go really well with fresh salad, yogurt, guacamole, hummus and so on… the possibilities are endless! To make proper chickpea crepes is not that easy and quick as it is egg and gluten free and has to be prepared the night before. Therefore I did come up with this quick and easy recipe that is halfway a regular crepe and socca (chickpea crepe in french). Of course if you want to do it the proper way than check out this website, but if you want quick breakfast or lunch then continue on 😉
EASY CHICKPEA CREPES
- 50g chickpea flour
- 50g plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- about 200ml water
1. Mix the flours, egg yolk, oil and seasoning together.
2. Gradually add water while mixing it until it becomes runny, but not too watery (something like double cream).
3. Heat up the oil in the frying pan. Tip: make sure you heat the pan properly as the crepes mixture will stick less to it.
4. Pour a spoon of the mixture to the pan and spread evenly around with the spatula (use the silicon one if you have it). Otherwise if you find it easer then swirl the whole pan to make the mixture run evenly to cover the whole pan.
5. Once the top surface is dry (nothing runs on top) then the crepe is ready to turn. I carefully slide the spatula under the crepe and flip it. You may want to try to flip it in the air by tossing the pan, but that’s if you feel brave enough…ha ha
Have fun and enjoy!