So the soup season is continuing here and I am trying to explore more and more flavours to stock up with (for the freezer). I find these soup portions very handy for lunches (super kid friendly too!!).
Apple and butternut squash seemed like a great match, was very eager to go and try it out as soon as I saw it on Pinterest. Made few changes, because I needed dairy free option as well as keeping it rich in flavour (I am talking about butter here). Hope you like it too as much as I did. Scroll down for the recipe ;-). APPLE AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP adopted from Foodess
serves 6 adults (you are welcome to double it up!)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 large cooking apple, cored and chopped
- 1tbsp fresh sage, or 1 tsp dried
- olive oil for roasting and frying
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1l chicken stock
- double cream (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Place butternut squash and apple into the baking tray, sprinkle with sage and drizzle with olive oil. Roast the veg for 25min.2. In large pot fry the onion for 5 min and add the mixed spice. 3. Add roasted veg (and fruit) together with chicken stock. Bring everything to boil and simmer for 20min.4. Puree soup using a blender. Stir in cream, if using, and return to a simmer (although it tastes totally wonderful without the cream as well). Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!