I have been dreaming of salad since my overeating season have finally ended (I mean Christmas). Just needed something lighter for a change! I made warm salad today as I thought the weather is still not quite right for the traditional cold one. It’s warm, because it has crisped bacon and fried avocado. Avocado? Yes, I finally had a chance to fry avocado. I am amazed with the crispiness of it, will definitely try it again!
CRISPY AVOCADO AND BACON SALAD
(serves 1-2 people for lunch)
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp olive oil + a drizzle for frying
- 1-2 avocados
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 2 rashers of bacon
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes
- 2 handfuls of baby leaf salad
1. First, marinate red onion (overnight is best, but 10min before serving will do). Chop the onion into “rainbow” slices and mix it together with balsamic vinegar, molasses and oil in the bowl. Set aside.
2. Prepare the breadcrumb mix by combining bread crumbs, flour, salt and pepper. Dip sliced avocados into the egg and then to breadcrumb mix.
3. Fry breaded avocados in well heated frying pan with a little oil.
4. Crisp fry bacon in the same frying pan. Arrange salad by mixing baby leaf salad with tomatoes, red onion (drained) and bacon. Drizzle the liquid from the onions over the salad and arrange fried avocado pieces on top.