Apparently rhubarb is in season (how would I know, I no longer have my garden to refer to) and my mum started using it in her bakes. This very simple rhubarb and almond cake is very popular. My mum says that a lot of people are already asking for the recipe. So today I thought I will try. After baking this cake I can confirm that it is very easy and uncomplicated to make. Although I did find it little tart (maybe a little bit too tart). So do try it out and be generous with sugar since it’s very low in fat (no butter or oil found).
RHUBARB AND ALMOND CAKE SQUARES
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup icing sugar/125g icing sugar (I used 225g golden caster sugar) + some for dusting
- 1 cup plain flour/125g plain flour
- 450-500g rhubarb stalks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (I used one vanilla pod seeds instead)
- 3-5 tbsp almond flakes
1. Whisk eggs with sugar till pale.
2. Add flour, finely chopped rhubarb and vanilla extract. Mix everything to combine well. 3. Empty the cake mixture into lined baking tin. Scatter almond flakes all over the top.
4. Bake in preheated 180C oven for 40-50min. Check if the cake is baked with the skewer (it should come out clean).
5. Let the cake cool before slicing it into squares. Remember to dust it generously with icing sugar! Enjoy!