I picked this recipe from The Crepes Of Wrath because I was yearning for something warm last weekend (really chilli here in Bedford!!!). It did came out great! We loved every bit of it and had some for lunch as well! I used kale leaves to substitute the swiss chard (did not have any in store) and made it a little bit creamer by substituting coconut milk with creamed coconut. Read on for my version of this recipe.GREEN CHICKPEA & CHICKEN COCONUT CURRY adopted from The Crapes Of Wrath
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp green curry paste
- 1tbsp chilli paste (should be more, but ooops… I guess I chickened out!)
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 100g creamed coconut, grated and dissolved in warm water to make up 400ml
- 2 cups water
- 1 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small bunch kale leaves, cleaned, trimmed and thinly sliced
1. Heat the coconut oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot. Add in the cubed chicken and cook over medium heat until almost fully cooked, about 6-7 minutes.
2. Add in chopped onion and continue to cook until softened, about another 5-6 minutes.
3. Add in the curry paste, chilli paste, kosher salt, ginger, creamed coconut, and 1 cup of water. Stir to combine, then bring to a boil.
4. Add in the additional cup of water. Bring back up to a boil, then add in the drained and rinsed chickpeas and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. After simmering, add in the trimmed and sliced kale leaves. Simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
We had it with poppadoms, but we thought plain basmati rice would go absolutely great!