In case you did not noticed (did not use my advice to go and enjoy outdoors): the elderflowers are out!!! So I could not wait but make my first cordial batch! This time I did it with the twist, I added apple and rhubarb :-). APPLE & RHUBARB ELDERFLOWER CORDIAL
- 20 heads freshly picked elderflowers
- 1.30kg sugar
- 1l water
- 1 Bramley apple (or something similar), sliced
- 3 rhubarb stalks, chopped
- 60g lemon salt or citric acid (absolutely essential)
1. Place the flowers, sliced apples and rhubarb in the large bowl or saucepan.
2. In separate, large, heavy-bottomed pan, heat the sugar and water until it boils and then allow to boil for about 5 minutes to form a thin syrup.
3.When the syrup is ready, remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature before pouring over the flowers. Add citric acid, cover and leave for at least 24 hours before straining.
4. Sterilise your jars by heating them in 180C oven for 5 minutes. Pour strained cordal into the jars. This should keep for up to a year.Enjoy! Summer is coming soon 😉