I have recently been searching for a perfect sponge cake base for our wedding torte. Although there are many to still try out, here is one I really liked: almond Victoria sponge. I particularly like the added almonds! I have decided to go with cream cheese frosting as that would last much longer then whipped cream and it tastes better too. I also opted for fresh fruit layer (in this case strawberries) instead of jam. Yum! try it for yourself ;-).
ALMOND VICTORIA SPONGE CAKE
- 400g butter
- 400g sugar
- 6 eggs
- 90g yogurt
- 360g flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 3tsp baking powder
(for the frosting)
- 100 butter, softened
- 100 cream cheese (room temperature)
- 150g icing sugar
- berries such as strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries
1. Cream butter with sugar until its pail in colour.
2. Gradually add eggs and mix the dough well.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and combine everything well.
4. Divide he cake mixture into two prepared cake tins and bake them in 180C preheated oven.
6. Meanwhile make the frosting by combining all the ingredients into smooth creamy paste.
7. When the sponge cakes are cooled, spread some cream cheese frosting on one of them and cover it with fresh berries. Place another cake on top and repeat the same again (if you want, I did slightly different for decorational purposes). Dust the top with icing sugar for an extra umf factor 😉