Recently I have baked passionfruit cheesecake for one of the cafes I supply to and I had too many passion-fruits left. As I really hate food waste I kept thinking what else I can do with passion-fruits until I remembered this passionfruit and coconut cake that I tasted few years ago (baked by my secret competitors… ghhr). I could not get over the taste of it so it wasn’t too difficult to recreate the recipe. It is soo easy to make and you don’t have to have it as a tart: bake the filling on it’s own!
PASSIONFRUIT AND COCONUT TART
For the sweet pastry:
- 85g unsalted butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 200g flour
For the filling:
- 4 eggs
- 165g caster sugar
- 330ml rich and creamy coconut milk (dunn’ river is good)
- 125 double cream
- 80g desiccated coconut
- 75g plain flour
- 50g almond flakes
- 125ml passionfruit pulp (7-9 small passion fruits)
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- Place the butter and sugar in mixing bowl and beat them together until they are light and fluffy. Add the egg to the butter mixture and mix it until combined. Then add the flour gradually and mix until it looks like smooth dough.
- Place the pastry in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes to rest. (or into freezer if you want it to be used another time)
- Meanwhile make the filling. Place the eggs and sugar together in a mixing bowl and beat them lightly. Combine the egg mixture with the rest of the ingredients, except icing sugar. Set the mixture aside until ready to use.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge. Roll it out on a well floured surface until it is around .5-.75mm thick. Lightly grease 30cm tart tin (or line it with baking paper). Line the tart tin with the pastry. Place the lined tin in the freezer for 15 minutes or in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Pour the filling into the pastry and place it in the preheated oven and cook it for 45-55 minutes. The filling will be golden brown, risen and firm when the tart is ready.
- Remove the tart from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the tart carefully from the tin.